In this episode, Lara interviews Nancy Ray about spiritual growth. They talk about what it looks like to be in the Word, community and prayer. Nancy also talks about how her walk with God has progressed, and how to hear from the Lord. This episode is full of inspiring, life giving encouragement!
– Nancy wondered as a child why it was a good thing for someone to die for you. She remembers the moment, as an eleven year old, when she realized that Jesus, who was perfect, died for her so that she could live. She was overwhelmed by his love.
– Nancy remembers so much of her identity being caught up in being noticed by her friends and finding a boyfriend. She felt called to give up dating for a year in high school – that was really when she chose Him as Lord and decided she wanted He wanted for her life instead of what she wanted.
– Nancy went through a really hard time when her parents got divorced shortly after, but God was closer to her in that season than she’s ever felt before.
– It’s easy to doubt or question His plan when we’re not in community and in prayer.
– Nancy talks about how to discern the voice of God, and to trust His voice over time.
– Memorizing the Word is life giving.
– God’s Word is always true, and it’s a great way to measure the voice that you’re hearing. It’s not the voice of the Lord if it doesn’t line up with scripture.
– It’s not about following rules or a schedule, but a desire to have a relationship with God.
– It’s important to have friends who can laugh with you and spur you on.
– Ask Him for wisdom, and be the one who steps out to build relationships. Sometimes it takes you going first and doing the hard thing.
– Ask Him to reveal Himself to you.
– Take the small, courageous step to get plugged in somewhere.
Quotes from this episode:
“When we choose Him as Savior and Lord, He’s so faithful to hold our hand and to be with us in the hard times.”
“When your expectations are one thing, and a totally different thing happens, God is faithful. Life is never perfect, but God is so faithful in all of it.”
“In every circumstance we face, we have the opportunity to either choose Him or run from Him – and it always, always works out best when we choose Him.”
“You have to get to know the shepherd to get to learn His voice.”
“Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:23-26
“He not only loves us, but He likes us. He likes to be close to us.”
“The little by little definitely adds up.”
Connect with Nancy on Instagram, Twitter, or her website. Nancy has also taught Influence classes on finances and boundaries. She also spoke at The Influence Conference this year, and you can purchase her talk here.