In this episode, Jacey talks with blogger and author Kayla Aimee. Kayla’s new book Anchored: Finding Hope in the Unexpected, which shares the story of her daughter’s premature birth at 24 weeks and how this experience rocked her faith and marriage. Kayla shares some of that story in this episode as well as advice for new mothers and advice for people supporting friends and family in trying time.
What you’ll hear:
- How Kayla uses humor in the mundane and difficult times
- The hardest part of being in the NICU for so long
- How Scarlette is doing now
- The role of hymns and music in Kayla’s faith
- Practical ways to support parents of micro preemies (or anyone going through a difficult time)
“She wasn’t fully formed yet, but she just looked like my baby. She looked like all of my love and she looked like life.” Kayla Aimee, on seeing Scarlette when she was born
“You’re exposed to constant trauma. One of the things that was really hard for me was when we would hear an alarm ring out that a baby was coding, and you have this moment thinking, ‘Oh God, please don’t let that be my baby,’ but that also means it’s someone else’s baby, and you don’t want that either.” Kayla Aimee, on life in the NICU
“I was having a hard time knowing what I wanted to say to God because I wanted my daughter to be healed and my faith let me know that she might still be healed not healed on this earth…I had a hard time asking for that.” Kayla Aimee
“The Bible tells us that even when we’re struggling to remain faithful, God will remain faithful to us.” Kayla Aimee
“I was weak and I was able to just lean in and let God be God.” Kayla Aimee
- Kayla’s book, Anchored
- Connect with Kayla on her blog, Instagram, Twitter or Facebook
- Your host for this episode is Jacey Verdicchio. You can connect with her on her blog, Instagram, or Twitter.